Plotting secondary axis in chart
When the values in a 2-D chart vary widely from data series to data series, or when you have mixed types of data (for example, price and volume), you can plot one or more data series on a secondary vertical (value) axis. The scale of the secondary vertical axis reflects the values for the associated data series. After you add a secondary vertical axis to a 2-D chart, you can also add a secondary horizontal (category) axis, which may be useful in an xy (scatter) chart or bubble chart. To help distinguish the data series that are plotted on the secondary axis, you can change their chart type. For example, in a column chart, you could change the data series on the secondary axis to a line chart.
Important: To complete the following procedures, you must have an existing 2-D chart. Secondary axes are not supported in 3-D charts.
Add a secondary vertical axis
You can plot data on a secondary vertical axis one data series at a time. To plot more than one data series on the secondary vertical axis, repeat this procedure for each data series that you want to display on the secondary vertical axis.
OR, Click the chart, this displays the Chart Tools, adding the Design, Layout, and Format tabs. On the Format tab, in the Current Selection group, click the arrow in the Chart Elements box, and then click the data series that you want to plot along a secondary vertical axis. On the Format tab, in the Current Selection group, click Format Selection. The Format Data Series dialog box is displayed.
2. Already a secondary axis is shown in the right side of the chart but the column bar is overlapping. Don’t worry. Now select the secondary column by clicking any of the bar and change the chart type. We can change the chart type from the design tab or just right click on the selected bar chart and select “Change Series Chart Type”. I change this bar chart to line chart which is visible for this example.
Remove a secondary axis
- Click the chart that displays the secondary axis that you want to remove.This displays the Chart Tools, adding the Design, Layout, and Format tabs.
- On the Layout tab, in the Axes group, click Axes, click Secondary Vertical Axis or Secondary Horizontal Axis, and then click None.
- You can also click the secondary axis that you want to delete, and then press DELETE, or right-click the secondary axis, and then click Delete.
- To remove secondary axes immediately after you add them, click Undo on the Quick Access Toolbar, or press CTRL+Z.