Importing data from text file
Create a connection to a text file and you can always work with its latest data. The Text Import Wizard helps you make sure all the data ends up in the right columns. For an example, I imported a text file named sales database in a new worksheet. For importing text file, do the following.
1. From Data Tab, select Import Text File under Get External Data group. Browse for the file you have saved. Having selected your file click ‘Import’.
2. It will start the Text Import wizard at step 1 of 3. Ensure that the ‘Delimited’ option is selected. Click Next.
3. In the delimiters section tick ‘Tab’ or other option if required. The text qualifier box should show the double-quote symbol. Click Next.
4. Step 3 of 3. You now need to set every column to be data format General, Text, Date. If you do not want to import a specific column, then select Do not import column (skip) option. you can leave every column as General.
5. Click Finish.
6. It may ask you ‘Where do you want to put the data?’. It will allow you to click into any cell on the blank worksheet to determine where the data should go. Click ‘OK’ to proceed.
7. The data should now appear in the spreadsheet. Where column headings are included these will appear in the top row. Check that fields have not lost leading zeros where applicable.